When you register for a card, staff set your PIN/Password to the last four digits of your phone number. You can always change or reset your password.
The total borrowing limit is 50 physical items. For more information on borrowing limits, loan periods and fines see the chart below.
|Item||Limit Per Borrower||Loan Period / Renewals||Overdue Fines|
|Books||50||4 weeks / 2 renewals||None.|
|hoopla Digital||4 per month||Video: 3 days, Music: 7 days / no renewals but you can check them out again if you have checkouts remaining||None.|
|Quick Reads/ Quick Views||3||1 week / no renewals||None.|
|Graphic Novels||50||2 weeks / 2 renewals||None.|
|Large Print Books||50||4 weeks / 2 renewals||None.|
|Books on CD/Mp3||30||4 weeks / 2 renewals||None.|
|Magazines||50||2 weeks / 2 renewals||None.|
|CD Music||20||2 weeks / 2 renewals||None.|
|DVD/Blu-ray||20||2 weeks / 2 renewals||None.|
|Video Games||3||2 weeks / 2 renewals||None.|
|Literacy Kits||1||3 weeks / 0 renewals More details…|
|InterLibrary Loans||6||2 weeks (renewals : check with staff) More details…||None.|
|Book Club Kits||1||8 weeks / 0 renewals More details…||None.|
|Physical Literacy kits||1||6 weeks / 0 renewals More details…||None.|
|5||3 weeks / renewals possible||None.|
|BC Wildlife Park Pass||1||7 days / 0 renewals More details…||None.|
|Family Fitness Pass||1||7 days / 0 renewals More details…||None.|
|See The Heat – Thermal Imaging Kit||1||7 days / 0 renewals More details…||None.|
|Budding Birder Backpack||1||14 days / 0 renewals More details…||None.|
*** Mobile Library Exception: All loan periods are 6 weeks for Mobile Library stops that are visited every 3 weeks.
If no one is waiting for the item, most physical items can be renewed twice. You can renew online, by phone or in person.
Cardholders can place up to 50 physical items on hold at a time. Once the hold is available, you have 7 days from the date of notification to pick up your hold before it moves on to the next person.
You can place holds on items located at any of the libraries in the TNRL system and have them delivered to your branch.
You can ‘freeze’ your holds in your online library account or by talking to a staff member. Holds that are first in the queue, in transit to your pick up library or on the holds shelf cannot be frozen.
You will be notified when your hold is ready to be picked up. The most reliable method is by email. You can add an email address in My Account, or staff can do it for you. If you have a valid email address on your account, you will also receive a pre-overdue courtesy reminder. You can then decide whether you want to renew your items or return them to avoid fines.
The other method for hold and overdue notifications is an automated telephone notice. The telephone robot calls telephone numbers with a 250/778/236 prefix only. The call is anonymous in order to protect patron privacy. The robot cannot telephone a specific extension or room number.
Electronic materials such as eBooks will automatically return on their due date. You can return physical materials to any of the following:
- Any of our 13 libraries or our Mobile Library. All branches have after hours drop slots.
- The Aberdeen Mall drop box, located by the Old Navy on the upper floor.
- The 70 Mile drop box, located in the 70 Mile Post office.
TNRL is now a fines free library! Here’s what you need to know:
- We’re wiping out existing overdue fines, and you’ll never get a new late fine again!
- Due dates remain in place and we will continue to send borrower notifications to remind people about upcoming due dates.
- Patrons who do not return library materials after 30 days from the date they are due will be charged replacement fees. Replacement fees include the cost of the item plus a processing fee. Patrons with replacement fees of more than $10 will be asked to pay down their account before renewing, placing holds or borrowing more items.
- Cardholders are responsible for all items borrowed on their card and we will continue to charge replacement fees if an item is lost, stolen or damaged.
- You can pay replacement fees online using ePayments, or using cash at any location. Kamloops and North Kamloops libraries also accept debit.
- Cardholders may choose to keep damaged materials if they have paid the full replacement cost of the damaged item(s).
- If you paid for a lost item and then find it within 12 months of the date you paid for it, bring it to the library and staff will refund your money, provided the item is in good condition.
If you would like the library to consider purchasing a title not in the TNRL catalogue please use the Title Suggestion form or talk to a staff member. While all suggestions are considered, we cannot fulfill every request or respond back about requested purchases. If TNRL purchases your suggested item, a hold will be placed on the item for you.
See our Interlibrary Loan page to find out how to request older books not in our system.