- Germany has a population of 81 million people.
- University is free for everyone (even non-Germans).
- There are over 1,500 different beers in Germany.
- The first printed book was in German.
- The first magazine ever seen was launched in 1663 in Germany.
- Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft is the longest word to be
published. It is 79 letters long.
- There are over 300 different kinds of bread in Germany.
- There are over 1,000 kinds of sausages in Germany.
- Beer is considered a food in Bavaria officially.
- Most taxis in Germany are Mercedes.
- The world’s narrowest street is in Reutlingen. It is called Spreuerhofstrasse and is 31 cm (one foot) wide at its
- In Germany there’s no punishment for a prisoner who tries to escape from jail, because it is a basic human instinct to be free.
- Pretzels originated from Germany. National Pretzel Day in April and National Pretzel Month during Octoberfest.
Taste the Local Culture
Did you know that April 26th was National Pretzel Day? Why not try making some yourself!
Have Some Fun!
Try your hand at this German-themed word search!
Plan Your Visit
This post is part of our Armchair Travel series. For more in this series check out our Armchair Travel tag.